Read some compelling reasons in a nutshell
or watch a slideshow presentation on the Nelson Waldorf School curriculum.
For a more leisurely stroll through our school, use the menu above to navigate the site or contact the school for more information.
Annual Fundraising Campaign:
Click here for details.
2013 Alumni Scholarships Available!
Click here for more info.
Click here for the latest newsletter.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
- May 17 - PRO-D No Classes KG-8. Childcare Centre programs are in regular session.
- May 20 - Victoria Day, No School or Childcare Centre Program
- May 21 PRO-D - No School KG - 8. Childcare Centre in regular session.
- May 22 - KG interviews 1 & 1:45pm
- May 22-25 Class 5 Olympics Trip
- May 29 - Class 1 Orientation/Information Meeting, 1 - 2:15pm.
- May 29 - KG interviews no longer taking place on this date.
- May 22-24 Class 5 Olympics Trip.
- June 3 to 5 - Class 4 Fort Steele
- June 5, 6 & 9 - Class 5 play
- June 6 & 7 - Class 3 Play
- June 7 Class 8 & PEI student visitors presentation.
- June 10 - 12 - Class 6 Bike Trip
- June 10 - 12 - Class 7 Year End Trip
- June 12 - KG Potluck 10:30 - noon
- June 12 - Class 1 Parent Meeting at Kokanee Creek Park
- June 13 - Last School Day KG Classes
- June 14 - Rose Ceremony
- June 14 - Last School Day Classes 1 - 8/Dismiss at Noon
Hot Lunch Order Forms:
Mum's The Word:
Hover here: inside, outside.
Childcare wait list.
Daycare spaces available:
More info here.
Contact school to register.
Imagine your child in a Waldorf school nestled in a forested valley in southeast British Columbia, just outside of a small, vibrant city that has been cited by Mothering Magazine as one of the best places in Canada to raise a child. On the shore of pristine Kootenay Lake, Nelson is home to an eclectic population, enjoys four seasons of outdoor recreation opportunity, and demonstrates a very real sense of community. One of only a few rural Waldorf schools in North America, the Nelson Waldorf School enjoys phenomenal support from the people of Nelson and has also attracted families from all over the world. Typically, these are people who have chosen to make a significant lifestyle change—leaving larger urban centres, slowing down, living more simply, and giving something very special to their children.
Since 1983, the Nelson Waldorf School has been providing Waldorf education to children of the West Kootenay area. As a full Kindergarten to Grade Eight school, it offers a comprehensive curriculum of academic rigour, artistic excellence, and ethical development. The curriculum integrates subjects so that they build on each other in a meaningful and lively way. Children stay with their age group to allow the curriculum to meet their developmental needs on an emotional, intellectual, physical, and spiritual level. All grades are taught specialty subjects, such as French language, music, handwork, woodwork, and eurythmy by teachers who specialize in these subjects.
The Nelson Waldorf School is a full member school of the Association of Waldorf Schools of North America (AWSNA) and is provincially recognized and funded as a Class One Independent School. The curriculum meets the British Columbia Education Ministry guidelines, and all teachers are Waldorf Trained and provincially certified.
The main menu headings above provide a wealth of information about the school. Hover over the headings to reveal sub-headings that allow you to go directly to any page of interest. For example, under the Home menu heading you can go directly to pages with information on Why Waldorf?, the School History, our Mission Statement, the Board of Directors, our Code of Compassion, and even the School Song.
Nelson Waldorf School, Box 165, Nelson, BC, V1L 5P9, Canada
(250) 352-6919, firstname.lastname@example.org
Hear Nelson Waldorf School students singing "Our Hero"
(With thanks to Jude Davison; additional songs are available here.)