Here are some reasons you might consider the Nelson Waldorf School for your child’s education:
- More than the simple acquisition of information, a Waldorf education is a journey of discovery. Our curriculum is designed to introduce subjects at the appropriate developmental moment, and our teachers create opportunities for students to deeply experience what they are learning. Our students encounter subject matter experientially, through story, movement , drawing, painting, writing , speaking, inventing, acting , sculpting , etc.
- The Nelson Waldorf School provides a detailed, richly artistic curriculum that responds to and enhances the child’s developmental phases, from early childhood through middle school. On a daily basis children are making and doing, creating beauty, and working with their hands: painting, drawing, woodworking, and knitting. Music is integrated throughout the day through song and the playing of musical instruments.
- Waldorf educated children often become compassionate, community-minded, socially-oriented adults.
- Graduates from Waldorf Schools worldwide have gained notoriety in all fields of scientific, cultural and social endeavours.
- From the Waldorf point of view, education is not merely the transfer of information but is also the awakening of capacities—the ability to think clearly and critically, to empathetically experience and understand phenomena in the world, and to distinguish what is beautiful, good, and true.
- The Nelson Waldorf School embraces our cultural diversity and honours the human experience through traditions. All grades participate in annual festivals that encourage us to reflect and celebrate the connection of our lives to a deeper purpose.
- Waldorf Education aims to develop well-rounded children who are knowledgeable about the world and human history and culture, who have many varied practical and artistic abilities, who feel a deep reverence for the natural world, and who can act with initiative and in freedom in the face of life’s challenges.
- Waldorf schools offer a refreshing, rhythmic alternative to the frantic, busy, noisy and rushed pace that is often the norm today. The morning Main Lesson, weekly schedule, monthly lesson Block and annual Festival celebrations embrace children’s need for predictability and consistency.
- Thanks to the funding we receive from the British Columbia Ministry of Education, we are able to offer this education at the lowest possible tuition for a fully accredited Waldorf School in North America
- To reflect our mission to provide Waldorf education to families without religious, racial, social or economic prejudice, the Nelson Waldorf School offers a tuition modification program
- And finally, Nelson is an amazing place to live and to raise a family!
The New York Times sparked national media coverage with its front page story on why Silicon Valley parents are turning to Waldorf education. This video below picks up where that story left off. “Preparing for Life” takes viewers inside the Waldorf School of the Peninsula where the focus is on developing the capacities for creativity, resilience, innovative thinking, and social and emotional intelligence over rote learning.