https://www.nelsonwaldorf.org/2016/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/hiring.png 326 400 NWS https://www.nelsonwaldorf.org/2016/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/waldorf_logo-1-300x138.png NWS2020-06-23 02:53:482020-07-09 17:02:32Employment Opportunity: Teaching Assistant
- The Class Teacher or Subject Teacher
- The Education Director
- To the Teacher on Call in the absence of the Class Teacher
- Work under the direction and authority of the Class Teacher and Subject Teachers. The TA can also be referred to as a “Classroom Aide” or “Classroom Helper.”
- Direct the students’ attention to the Class and/or Subject Teacher for instructional directions, class ‘rules’ and reminders, disciplinary expectations, etc.
- Assist the students to receive the grade level curriculum at his/her individual level by adapting and/or modifying the mode of instruction to meet student’s needs.
- Encourage independence by allowing the students to work independently, while assisting other students in the classroom as needed and appropriate.
- Use the school’s Social Inclusion approach to social conflict in the classroom and on playfields.
- Prepare materials and do marking as requested by the Class Teacher.
- Accompany and assist the class in subject classes as needed.
- Oversee the whole class with quiet working for short periods.
- Take small groups or individuals and supervise working as directed by the Class Teacher.
- Morning recess and lunch recess supervision daily, using Social Inclusion approach.
- Follow goals and objectives from the student’s Individual Education Plan (IEP) where applicable.
- Liaise periodically with Education Director for trainings, concerns or administrative issues.
- Attend IEP meetings, (twice a year) if applicable, as well as January parent-teacher conference if requested by Class Teacher.
- If requested by Class Teacher, maintain regular communication with parents via phone, communication book and/or meetings to share observations and suggestions for student support.
- Consult with Class Teacher on a regular basis (one period per week).
- Participate in class field trips when requested.
Individual Child support
- Assist with the needs of an individual child under the direction of the Class teacher
- Have skills that correspond to the particular needs of the child
- Be willing to learn about the child’s needs
- Provide communication with the parent of the child
NWS expects the Teaching Assistant to:
- learn the Waldorf philosophy (time provided on the job)
- learn and use Social Inclusion approach, including specific tools and language (training provided)
- be familiar with the school rules as outlined in the Parent Handbook
- learn to play the recorder and to knit. May require minimal practice knitting and recorder at home
- model correct cursive handwriting
- model correct grammar and appropriate verbal/written language
- support all school policies
- support the school’s media policy by refraining from cell phone or headphone use in public areas
- support the school’s dress code of clothing and jewelry
- be readily accessible by phone
- submit hours according to Business Director’s guidelines
- call the Class Teacher as soon as possible if an absence is incurred
- A TA contract corresponds to the NWS school year. The school year is Tuesday, Sept. 8, 2020 – Thursday, June 17, 2021. Late hirings are prorate
- A full-time position is 5 days/week (31 hours): Monday-Thursday 8:15 am-3:15 pm daily, including an unpaid 30 min lunch break; and Friday 8:15 am-1:15 pm.
- The hourly wage is $16-18/hr
- Part-time positions are usually Mon-Fri (5 days week), 4.5-5 hrs/day.
- School holidays are not paid. Some paid Pro-D days are allocated.
- Benefits: TAs are entitled to 3 discretionary days per year, and are eligible for the Employee Tuition Benefit
- All new employees begin with a 2 month probationary period.