Position Title: Facility and Grounds Manager
Reports To: Business Director
Job purpose: To oversee the safety and maintenance of the NWS campus and facilities and ensure those facilities and are in compliance with all applicable regulations. To hire, train, and supervise grounds and maintenance staff. To recommend and coordinate improvements to the property to ensure a safe, functional, and appealing space for students, staff, and community members.
- Create and maintain a safe and healthy school environment for learning and working
- Oversee security system, snow removal, waste disposal, water testing, fire prevention, and other safety systems
- Be available to fire and police departments on a 24-hour call basis when building alarm sounds
- Support administrative staff with updating emergency plans and evacuation procedures
- Assist with emergency response and evacuations
- Inspect facilities; identify maintenance problems; determine the costs of repair; evaluate and assist in the prioritization of maintenance items; and coordinate, and/or perform needed repairs.
- Ensure that staff and students are provided with proper utilities (i.e., heat, water, electricity)
- Order materials, as needed, and make recommendations of supplies and equipment for purchase
- Prepare annual operating plan and budget proposal
- Monitor and work within building maintenance budgets
- Ensure economical usage of fuel, water, and electricity
- Hire employees or contractors as needed to maintain, repair, or improve the property
- Train, supervise, and evaluate all grounds staff (i.e., caretaker, maintenance worker, janitor, and seasonal grounds employees) and ensure their adherence to WorkSafeBC health and safety regulations
- Support the work of staff and students by overseeing the set up and tear down of equipment during special events (i.e., concerts, graduation, conferences, etc) Coordinate and supervise volunteers and students as needed
- Identify and solve safety problems that are associated with the buildings and grounds
- Be an active member of the NWS WorkSafe and Buildings and Grounds committees
Experience and Requirements:
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in the basic techniques of mechanical and electrical repair and maintenance, carpentry, plumbing, and grounds maintenance
- Experience as a manager of school custodial services or the equivalent in custodial service in other institutions and/or firms
- Strong leadership and organizational skills
- Demonstrated aptitude for the successful completion of tasks
- Ability to oversee multiple concurrent projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Flexible work hours, including some evenings and weekends
- On-call availability in the event of an emergency
- Valid BC driver’s license and own transportation
- Clear criminal record check
Terms of Employment:
Start date: As soon as possible
Length of contract: 12 months
Hours: Part-time, up to 12 hours per week
Wage: Hourly, compensation dependent on experience.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.