The Nelson Waldorf School is recruiting for the role of middle school class teacher.
The teacher is responsible for the delivery of Waldorf education in a manner that is aligned with Waldorf pedagogical practices, grade-specific Scope and Sequence expectations, and the requirements of the BC Ministry of Education, as set forth in the BC curriculum and by the province’s five-stage approach to in-class instruction. Established in 1982, the Nelson Waldorf School offers school programs from Kindergarten to Grade 8, with an on-campus Child Care Centre. The Nelson Waldorf School is a Group One BC Independent School, and is AWSNA accredited. Nelson is a thriving city located in the Selkirk Mountains on the West Arm of Kootenay Lake in BC, Canada. Known for its strong artistic and cultural life, Nelson and area offers a magnificent four seasons outdoor playground.
The class teacher has a passion for Waldorf education and for inspiring a love of learning in children and youth. Key qualities are strong communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a collaborative environment. With the responsibility of carrying a class of up to 24 students, the successful candidate will have excellent class management and organizational skills.
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
- Prepare, teach and assess all grade-level main lesson blocks throughout the year and other grade-related periods as assigned, such as: painting, form drawing, math practice periods, language arts practice periods, and short instructional (SI) periods.
- Work proactively to support students by requesting the need for additional student supports, such as developmental assessments (“Extra Lesson”), psycho-educational assessments, auditory/visual assessments, etc.
- Prepare a yearly class play or presentation appropriate to the curriculum and students’ stage of development.
- Plan and carry out a year-end class trip (day and overnight), appropriate to the curriculum and students’ stage of development.
- Create and maintain a grade-appropriate, aesthetic and orderly classroom.
- Participate in faculty meetings, sit on at least one committee, plan and conduct quarterly parent meetings with an educational component. Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter, resume and two professional references to email@example.com.
EDUCATION AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- BC Independent Certification
- Waldorf Certification (completed or in progress)
- 5+ years Waldorf class teaching experience (preferred)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Permanent, full time
- Salary based on experience including benefits package
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter, resume and two professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.