The Nelson Waldorf School is recruiting for the role of Handwork teacher. The Handwork teacher is responsible for the delivery of the Waldorf curriculum in a manner that is aligned with both Waldorf pedagogical practices. It is expected that the Handwork teacher works as a part of a committed team of teachers and is an active member of our school community, and possesses a commitment to personal and professional development and an enthusiasm for collegial work.
Established in 1982, the Nelson Waldorf School offers school programs from Kindergarten to Grade 8, with an on-campus Child Care Centre. The Nelson Waldorf School is a Group One BC Independent School, and is AWSNA accredited. Nelson is a thriving little city located in the Selkirk Mountains on the West Arm of Kootenay Lake in British Columbia, Canada. Known for its strong artistic and cultural life, Nelson and the surrounding area offers a magnificent four seasons outdoor playground.
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
- Prepare for and teach practical and decorative projects that foster patience, determination, pride. Emphasize an aesthetic appreciation of form and design, as well as the importance of precision and accuracy, along with artistic expression.
- Instruct students to use simple tools and natural fibres to awaken the tactile senses and stimulate mental/neurological development.
- Make necessary adaptations and modifications to Handwork instruction as per a student’s Individual Education Plan (IEP).
- Actively participate in the life of the school and broader school community, including festivals, concerts, performances, staff meetings, the Annual General Meeting, and other after-school activities, as assigned.
- Document student progress and complete year-end student reports by the agreed upon date.
- Actively supervise, both during indoor and outdoor, students with focus, even when distractions are present.
EDUCATION AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- BC Teachers Certificate required
- Waldorf teaching certificate preferred
- Permanent, full time or part time
- Salary based on experience
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter, resume and two professional references to email@example.com.