Our beloved Halloween Journey sold out much quicker than anticipated – we’re sorry not everyone who wanted tickets was able to get them this year, and wish you all a very Happy Halloween no matter how you end up celebrating it. (And we look forward to greeting those who were able to get a ticket to this magical and mysterious journey here at the school – tours starting at 4:50p.m.).
We are very pleased to welcome Mr. Jonathan Snow for our fall session of eurythmy. He comes to us from the Toronto Waldorf School (from which he’s currently on a year’s sabbatical). He has pursued eurythmy internationally, completing both artistic and pedagogical training in Stuttgart, Germany, obtaining the eurythmy teacher Bachelor of Arts in The Hague, Netherlands and participating in workshops in the USA. He is a certified Bothmer gymnast and Spacial Dynamics® associate. As well as teaching in Waldorf schools, he has given workshops for adults in both Germany and Canada. He continually explores various movement arts, from dancing to martial arts.
On Friday, September 14th, the grade 8 students and parents took their own initiative, further to the school program, to organise a triathlon fundraiser where they canoed, cycled and hiked (from Lakeside, up Pulpit, and back again). Ms Lavine was a welcomed participant, too. Decked out in beautiful red t-shirts and complete with a ribbon cutting, these amazing students set the challenge and completed it in fine form (and with great teamwork). Dronemates was on hand to photograph the event, too.
Thank you so much to everyone who contributed to this successful (and fun) fundraiser – we raised $2500, and donated $250 to the West Kootenay EcoSociety to help support all the good work they do.
Congratulations to all and thank you parents for ensuring a safe and fun adventure for these remarkable students.
The Nelson Waldorf School is excited to welcome Ms. Guthrie back after a year away from the school. Celeste is taking this year’s Class 2, coming back to the same classroom she started in when first teaching at this school.
The Nelson Waldorf School is an AWSNA membership school with a rich history and connection to the beautiful and eclectic town of Nelson BC, nestled in the heart of the Kootenay region of Southern British Columbia. Our K-8 school and childcare center of 180+ students, dedicated and experienced faculty, and a committed parent body seeks a motivated and experienced leader to support our work and collaborate with faculty, board, and parents in moving toward an evolving vision of the future of our school. The successful candidate will play a vital role in strategic planning, school administration, B.C. Ministry of Education compliance, and faculty support and development.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and ability to attain a BC Independent School Teaching Certification (ISTC) or equivalent
- Leadership experience in a Waldorf school (as a teacher or administrator)
- Advanced training or degrees in the realms of Waldorf education, administration, or educational leadership are preferred
- Liaise with the BC Ministry of Education
- Ensure all ministry requirements are met (implementation of the new BC curriculum, report cards, FSAs, 1701s)
- Liaise with AWSNA and implement recommended strategic and operational initiatives
- Oversee policy and procedure development and implementation
- Oversee and support the overall administration of the school including working closely with the Business Director, Community Development Director, and Childcare Manager to support their roles
- Engage in strategic planning in conjunction with all governance bodies in the school and oversee implementation of initiatives
- Work closely with the Board of Trustees, faculty and parents to ensure clear and timely flow of information
- Support Kindergarten and Class teachers with parent work, and facilitate meetings as necessary
- Oversee the hiring, support, and evaluation of faculty
- Develop and review policies and procedures
- Support the Business Director with the hiring, support, and evaluation of non-teaching staff
- Pedagogical Steering Committee Co-Chair
- Work closely with faculty to develop and support curriculum
Characteristics & Skills:
- Servant leadership approach
- Strong Administrative and organizational skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Consultative approach to decision making
- Can build and develop teams
- Creative and critical thinker
- Effective and efficient time manager
- Can manage multiple concurrent projects
- Change management skills and ability to work with and facilitate ever-evolving structures
Terms & Compensation:
- Full-time (1.0FTE) 12 month contract
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Benefits include full tuition benefit, MSP premium coverage, and insurance coverage through Great West Life (life and accidental death and dismemberment)
Please submit a letter of interest, resume, and three references to email@example.com.
The NWS campus is situated on 35 acres of mountain splendor minutes from downtown Nelson. Nelson is a small city, located on the shores of Kootenay Lake and is a mecca for music and the arts. For more information about Nelson visit: https://www.discovernelson.com/
For more information about the town of Nelson, British Columbia visit: https://www.discovernelson.com/
The Nelson Waldorf Childcare Centre is taking applications for a permanent part time ECE for our afternoon program, and a part time assistant ECE or ECCA. Join our wonderful supportive team at our beautiful campus for rewarding work with young children. More information at: http://www.nelsonwaldorf.org/marigolds-and-daisies/
- Wage: $18.50/hr ECE; $17.50/hr ECEA.
- Benefits: Free tuition grade school/childcare
- Hours: Afternoon ECE 27hrs/wk, Assistant ECE or ECCE 12hrs/wk – an ECE could combine
Start dates: September 4, 2018
Requirements: Current BC ECE/ECEA certification, current child first aid, criminal record check, experience or willingness to learn about Waldorf Education EC Education.
To apply please send your resume and cover letter to:
Erica Maclennan – firstname.lastname@example.org
You have till June 29th to pay your 30% deposit on all costs without incurring a late fee of $200 (new this year).
Mr. Marcelo Porto Goncalves will return to our school to take up the position of Class One teacher in September 2018. Mr. Goncalves graduated his Grade 8 class in June, 2017, having been their class teacher through grades 1-8. He has spent this year with his wife Myra and their three young sons traveling and adventuring in his home country of Brazil. Staff and Faculty at the NWS are delighted that he will once again be with us and take up our Grade One class. Please stay tuned for further announcements regarding the registration process for Class One children.
If you’re interested in learning more about the Nelson Waldorf School, or already know you’d like to enroll your children here, this tour is for you. Please join us to get a closer, more in-depth look at the school in action as we tour the campus and visit the classes when school is in session.
Please contact the School Office at (250)352.6919 to reserve a spot.
Nelson Waldorf School’s Parent-tot program, Sweet Peas, is still accepting registrations for its Winter Friday program starting January 12, but will not be running the Saturday classes. Please register online here, or call the School Office for more information.
Nelson Waldorf School
3648 Silverking Ski Hill Rd
Nelson B.C. V1L 5P9
Tel: (250) 352-6919