PLACE-BASED EDUCATION / GRADE 9 PROGRAM COORDINATOR
The Nelson Waldorf School is developing a Place-Based Education (PBE) program to further enhance the academic offerings of our school. In addition, we are exploring the addition of Grade 9 (currently NWS is a K-8 program). Place-based learning at the Nelson Waldorf School can be viewed as a vessel to enhance the Waldorf education and provide real connections to both nature and the surrounding communities.
Established in 1982, the Nelson Waldorf School offers school programs from Kindergarten to Grade 8, with an on-campus Child Care Centre. The Nelson Waldorf School is a Group One BC Independent School, and is AWSNA accredited. Nelson is a thriving city located in the Selkirk Mountains on the West Arm of Kootenay Lake in BC, Canada. Known for its strong artistic and cultural life, Nelson and area offers a magnificent four seasons outdoor playground.
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
- Research and development of the PBE program as well as Grade 9 offering.
- Deliverables for PBE will include presenting rigorous content suggestions for 1-9 in support of the NWS Scope and Sequence, a systematic approach for combining the vessel of support for the classroom execution, a list of resources and experts in core special subject matter, a list of grants and timeline of grants we can apply for, an approach for a Rights of Passage program that follows the learning pathways, and a system for ordering and managing gear.
- The candidate in this position will serve as the project manager for the research and development of both programs.
- The candidate will do all the necessary research on what it means to run a grade 9 from logistics, to spacial requirements, to curriculum development, Ministry requirements, financial needs, etc.
- This person will then present the findings to the NWS Ped Committee and Head of School by December to determine if the program will move forward in 22/23 or 23/24 (Or at all).
- Coordinate with faculty where appropriate and collaborate with the Ped committee on program development.
- Collaborative with the communications team on a narrative of both the PBE and Grade 9 programs
- Design and present a strategy for approaching and executing both programs.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter, resume and two professional references to email@example.com.
EDUCATION AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Teaching experience preferred
- Organized Project Management skills
- Proficient with G-Suite, Office suite or equivalent)
- Thorough knowledge of the BC Ministry Development Milestones
- Understand the picture of a child from the Waldorf perspective
- Strong communication skills
- Deep understanding of the benefits of Place-Based Education
- Solid understanding of the needs of a Grade 9 program
- Full time, 1 year contract
- $46,500-57,300 annual salary, depending on experience