- Next Parent Council Meeting: TBA. All parents warmly invited to attend this meeting in the school Meeting Room.
- Read about what Parent Council is and what is does in the latest Parent Council Guidelines (updated Feb 10, 2010).
- Check out the NWS Wiki, a resource to help teachers, staff, and parents share information about the school.
- View the agenda from the last meeting.
- Agendas and minutes of previous Parent Council and Fundraising Committee meetings are available below.
Parent Council Role at the School
The Nelson Waldorf School Parent Council designs, holds, guides, and facilitates the participation of parents in service of the Faculty and Board of Directors of the Nelson Waldorf School. All parents of children enrolled in the school are general members of the Parent Council.
The Parent Council recognizes that parent input into the day-to-day activities of the school is not only good for our children and the school, but also for ourselves as we deepen our collective sense of community. We hope that the virtues of each parent can be reflected in the whole, to quote Steiner, and that the energy, ideas, talents, and concerns of all parents are harnessed and addressed. The village of attachment that surrounds our children can include all of us in meaningful and inspired ways.
Parent Council projects and initiatives (recent, current, and projected) include:
- Coordinating fundraising activities at the school, including the Grocery Card program.
- Working with the Faculty and Administration on marketing and advertising.
- Liaising with the Social Inclusion Coordinating Group.
- Connecting with Class Parents (K Bronwyn Murray, 1 Iain Pardoe, 2/3 Claire Leishman, 4 Cathy Lummiss, 5 Lisa Luckett, 6 Lisa McGeady, 7 Paige Adair, 8 Ilana Pengelly).
- Festival coordinating, e.g., Halloween Journey, Winter Faire, Mayfest.
- Organizing festival equipment boxes/storage and the costume room.
- Arranging fundraising/marketing opportunity events.
- Beautifying the Parent Room.
- Re-imagining the Library.
- Obtaining funding for developing the Upper School Playground.
- Developing written documentation on the main school Events and Festivals.
- Revisiting the Parent Handbook.
- Creating a Parent Council display area.
- Creating a portable marketing display.
- Creating a grants database.
- Constructing the grant-funded lower field natural playground, completed in the summer of 2009.
Any parents interested in getting involved with the Parent Council can contact Keitha at the School Office at email@example.com or (250) 352-6919. Any and all ideas for the development and activities of the Parent Council are welcome.
Parent Council Meeting Agendas and Minutes
- Oct 3 2011: Agenda
- May 17 2011: Minutes
- Mar 8 2011: Minutes
- Jan 25 2011: Minutes
- Nov 30 2010: Minutes
- Oct 26 2010: Minutes
- Sep 28 2010: Minutes
- May 18 2010: Minutes
- May 11 2010 (special grocery card meeting): Minutes
- Apr 27 2010: Minutes
- Feb 23 2010: Agenda, Minutes
- Jan 26 2010: Agenda, Parent Council Guidelines (serves in place of the minutes for this meeting)
- Dec 1 2009: Agenda, Minutes
- Oct 27 2009: Agenda, Minutes
- Sep 29 2009: Agenda, Minutes
- May 27 2009: Agenda, Minutes
- Apr 16 2009: Agenda, Minutes
Parent Council Newsletters
Fundraising Committee Meeting Minutes
- Nov 16 2009: Minutes
- Oct 13 2009: Minutes
- Download a full report on the April 2009 fundraising survey or request a printed copy from the school office.